I’ve decided to try for a Grand Rounds post, because this week’s theme – “hot” – is unequivocally awesome. (The fact that I’m bad at theme writing isn’t stopping me, as you can tell from this post’s title.) (See what I did up there? That’s called “ingenuity”. Or “trying too hard”. Potato, po-tah-to.)
1. Discovering that spell-check would never again be on my side.
Spell-check: We used to be friends.
And now you don’t work.
Sure, I could just turn it off forever – in fact, I did. But then I immediately sent a formal proposal where I misspelled “function”, by leaving out the ‘n’. And yes, the recipient noticed the horror of the pronunciation.
A small piece of my academic soul died that day.
2. That time the med school dorm decided to test every smoke alarm.
Every smoke alarm, in over 150 rooms. Over 3 days of med school. And, note:
3. That time we were assigned 250 pages of reading in one day
A day too dark to document. (Well, except, I sort of did.) Still – moving on!
4. The discovery that “slacker” and “gunner” didn’t mean quite what I thought they did.
In fact, they kind of get thrown around a lot. Like… a lot.
5. Reliving it all, in glorious detail, at the end of the year.