You know how there’s a lot of German words for complicated emotions?
- Schadenfreude: The pleasure you feel at someone else’s pain.
- Schleppen: The labor at carrying a heavy object a very long way.
- Wanderlust: An impulse, longing or urge to go for long walks or hikes, or to travel
- Zugzwang: A situation in which you have to make a move, but any move you make will be disadvantageous to you, whereas if you did not have to move, you would not be at a disadvantage.
- Weltschmerz: Sentimental pessimism or melancholy over the state of the world
Do you know if there’s a German word for the emotion “my peer just had a 1st author paper accepted for publication to Cell and I’m simultaneously incredibly proud but also – good god, I need to seriously re-evaluate my suddenly wanting life?”
… asking for, um, a friend.
Edit: 15 minutes after posting this, one of my friends got a write-up in the New York Times. I’m officially having a small but incredibly selfish and confusing personal crisis.